Thursday, October 9, 2008

Lord, Give Me Strength!

Donnie is out of town this week, so I decided to treat the boys to Burger King for dinner tonight. The toy in the happy meals is I-Dog and they were both really happy about this! They played with their dogs all evening. After their bath, they came down and continued to play. But of course it didn't take long for an argument to start, so I told them to come in the living room and get their pajamas on. Carter said OK and came right in. Ethan told me he wasn't done playing yet. Ethan is an extremely sweet child, but for some reason he can never do what I ask the first time. He always has something to say instead of just doing what I ask. We have been working on his attitude for the last several weeks. So, I went into the other room and told him to give me whatever was in his hand. He reluctantly gave me his dog and began crying. I told him he could have him back tomorrow and he needs to work on his attitude. After I read them a book, he asked for his dog again, and again I told him he could get it back tomorrow. I tucked Carter into bed, and then went to get a pen and paper, b/c I know Ethan, and I knew what was coming. Here is what I overheard at his bedroom door (and these are actual quotes I was able to jot down without him knowing):
Dear Jesus and God,
I'm so sorry for giving Mommy attitude. I love my doggy and I miss him so much and I want to sleep with him tonight. But I'm not praying to get my dog back, I'm praying for you to give me the strength to be good for Mommy. I'm 6--I'm a big boy and I can do it! I can do it! I can be nice to Mommy...and Carter...and Ms. Wooley...and my friends. I can do it! I know I can! God...and Jesus, please give me the strength to be nice. And I'm sorry for all the people who have died. Like Elvis Presley. He was a really good singer. Amen.
And then he said the Our Father.

7 comments:

Sophie-and-Bryce said...

this seriously has to be one of the sweetest and funniest things i've read lately!

Barbee said...

Oh my goodness! I love it, absolutely love it!!!

Regina said...

Oh, Lori, that is just precious! He's a sweet one.

The Rogerson's said...

Dear God and Jesus,
I can only pray that Ethans mommy can realize that eathan has long term issues. Oh Lord please help us all.
(Maybe by sending Ethan to alaska?)
Amen
Then I said the Our Father.
-Hunter

The Rogerson's said...

Why are these people calling ethan precious? I pray for them.

-Hunter

The Rogerson's said...

I also pray for Eddie Van Halen. He is a beast guitar. Arguably the best but he's not dead like Elvis.

The Rogerson's said...

oops, im on the slightly retarded side today. Eddie is a beast guitarist not a guitar.