Friday, October 31, 2008

They learn this in kindergarten???

The other night Ethan was doing his homework which was to copy and complete this sentence: Cc is for ___________. Ethan wrote Cc is for Carter, but halfway through spelling Carter, he looked at me and said that Carter is a proper noun. Just several years ago, I taught what proper nouns were to 2nd graders! Carter was not pleased with this, however. He kept yelling, "I am not a proper down!"

Then tonight as we were trick-or-treating, Ethan said he knew what circumference meant. When I asked him, he told me it is how big around something is. In the past, they all brought in apples and had to estimate (another word he knows the meaning of) how big around their apples were. They cut strings in order to do this, and then their teacher measured each child's apple with the string they cut. They kept track of how many kids guessed too long, too short, or who got it right. She then talked about circumference. I happened to be in the room volunteering the day she did this. They all brought in pumpkins this week, so I guess she did it again with pumpkins. When we got home from trick-or-treating tonight, Ethan told me he wanted to estimate the size of his head. So I got some string and he measured out how long he thought his head was around and cut it off. When I asked him to guess if he got it right, cut it too long, or too short, he said he thought it looked too short. And I'm sure I'm opening this up to many jokes from my family, but yes, it was too short--way too short. I'll just say he has to have a big head to hold his big brain since he is learning so many things in kindergarten!

1 comment:

The Rogerson's said...

listen you need a whole roll of string to get half way and second carter is dumb as a rock. Take that proper down!