Friday, November 21, 2008

Uncle Fudd's Farm

A couple of weeks ago, Uncle Fudd's Farm came to Carter's preschool. They brought chickens, cats, rabbits, and a horse. The kids even got to take a tractor ride around the school. Everyone got to take a ride on the horse if they wanted. I teach at Carter's school, and my class happened to be outside at recess when his class was at the "farm". Well, when they lined up to go in, Carter was crying hysterically, so I went over to him and he told me he wanted to ride the horse. At first I thought he just didn't speak up b/c he is so shy, and he never got a chance to ride the horse. The girl I teach with told me I should go in and let his teacher know he never had a chance to ride the horse. When I went in, he was still crying so hard that you couldn't make out what he was saying. His teacher told me she thought he was just upset b/c he saw me (which used to happen quite frequently). But when I told her why he was crying, she looked very puzzled and told me that she asked him twice if he wanted to ride the horse. He said no, and even as they were leaving, she asked him again and he still said no. I asked him why and he told me he was afraid the horse was going to bite him, but then after he saw everyone else ride, he wanted to. This is such a typical Carter thing to do! So I was standing there asking myself what I should do. His teacher told me I could take him out if I wanted, but since he was asked twice and said no, should I just let him learn a valuable lesson about saying what you mean? What to do, what to do?!?!

In the end, I decided to let him go out and ride the horse, b/c I don't want him to have a lifelong fear of horses, and I really don't think it was too much to ask for! He absolutely loved it and by the look on his face, I know I made the right decision!

1 comment:

The Rogerson's said...

I see how carter is, doing what everyone else is doing. Well Cart, have fun in high school.

-Hunter