Monday, September 8, 2008

Carter's First Day of School

Today was Carter's first day of preschool and my first day of teaching preschool. All I can say about my day was that it is such a different world from teaching 2nd grade. Why preschool teachers make so much less than elementary school teachers is beyond me. Definitely more challenging than most of my years teaching, but then again I'm not really used to a room full of 4 year olds.

Cartie started off great. He woke up in a great mood and was really excited to go to school. Last night Ethan even reminded him (several times) that I would not be in his room with him, and he said that was OK b/c it would be fun to be with his teachers. We were the first to arrive in the room, and he was in good spirits. He talked to his teachers, took a picture with them, and started playing with the toys. But then at 9:30 they opened the doors and a flood of parents and kids came barreling down the hall. Carter doesn't deal well with crowds or unfamiliar people, plus I had to get down to my room. So it came as no surprise when he started crying and clinging to my skirt when I had to leave. It was expected, but no matter how much you prepare yourself, it still isn't any easier in that moment. One of his teachers had to peel him off me, and I left.

A major bonus to his room is that there is a large window that I can look in to check on him, but he can't see me. So I went down after 5 minutes, and he was standing in the doorway still crying and calling for me. It took all I had not to just walk in there and give him the biggest hug ever and tell him it was going to be OK, but I knew that would make it worse, so again I left.

After another 5 minutes, I went down again and this time he wasn't crying. He wasn't doing much of anything, but he wasn't crying and I was proud. Occasionally some other teachers would come by my room and let me know that he was doing well. Once I checked on him during snack time and I could read his lips through the window and he was saying he wanted his mommy, and then there were tears. Another time, the teacher was blowing his nose! But more often than not, he was just fine, sitting at the table listening to the teacher and looking like a big boy. At the end of the day during rest time, he fell asleep. I guess all that crying does take it out of you!

When I went to get him, he was so excited, and a little sleepy, but seemed really happy! He said he had a great day and had fun, but didn't learn anything! He talked nonstop about his day and says he wants to go back. He really does feel like a big boy now and you can tell he's proud of himself. He talked on the phone to his whole family and went on and on about his day. We shall see what Wednesday brings, hopefully it will be much easier on him. I am very proud of you, Doodle Bug!!

Ethan was such a great big brother this morning. He kept telling Carter how proud he was of him and how much he was going to miss him. But he reminded Carter of all the fun toys in the room and told him he was going to make lots of friends. He also went over some rules like if Carter wanted to ask the teacher something, raise his hand. He was very sweet!!

Doodle in his Wall-E shirt that makes noise and his new Wall-E crocs!

>
Carter with Ms. Stephanie

And with Ms. Renee

Back at home wearing his crayon crown he made at school and his Wonder Pets backpack!

2 comments:

Denver said...

So proud of you Cartie Doo!! School isn't as bad as you think. Ask pap pap, he even went an extra year. Love you, Maga

The Rogerson's said...

1. Why does his shirt make noise

2. Is Ms. Stephanie Cartie's teacher or is he at a wax museum

3. It doesn't look like Ms.Renee has EVER been outside in fact I think she eats sun lotion.

-Hunter
(is scared of Cartie's teachers)