Monday, August 11, 2008

Ethan's First Day of Kindergarten

I remember the day Ethan got his last set of shots at 18 months old. His doctor told me he wouldn't have to get anymore until he goes to kindergarten. That day seemed so far away. So how is it possible that that day is here already?? It just doesn't seem fair that time can go by so quickly. I know that he will have fun in kindergarten and hopefully make a lot of friends, but that doesn't take away the hurt I felt when I had to say goodbye to him this morning. I am going to miss my little buddy during the day....very much!

Lying in bed on Sunday night after reading books, Ethan began crying and voiced a lot of concern about going to kindergarten the next day. I think he was sad about summer being over and nervous about a new school, a new teacher, and new friends. He was worried his teacher wouldn't love him. Or that his new friends wouldn't be nice. After assuring him that everything was going to be OK, he finally fell asleep at a pretty decent time. He woke up this morning in a much better mood, but you could still tell he was a little scared. Donnie went into work late so that he could have breakfast with Ethan and see him off. He made one of Ethan's favorite breakfasts--cinnamon rolls with icing!!

After Donnie left we finished getting ready and when I suggested he wear his newer sandals, he asked if he could wear his Spongebob crocs instead. I tried talking him out of it, but then he said to me, "Maybe if I wear my Spongebob crocs some of the other kids will say, 'hey Ethan I like your cool shoes'." How could I say no to that??? When we got to school he couldn't believe how big it was! We found our way to his new room while lugging the tons of supplies we had to bring on the first day. His teacher introduced herself and began to show us where to put all those supplies. While this was going on, she looked at Ethan and said, "Wow Ethan, I love your Spongebob shoes. Did you get those for your first day of school?" He just beamed and thanked her. Then he pulled me aside and told me he wanted to tell me a secret. I leaned down and he whispered into my ear. "Mommy, that is exactly what I wanted someone to say." Thank goodness I gave into him this morning!

Since this week is staggered for kindergartners, there were only two other kids in his class today. A little girl and a little boy named Davis!!! He will have the rest of the week off and then go back on Monday with his whole class of 15 kids. After unloading everything, I gave him a hug and a kiss and then left. I turned around just once after that and he was really content playing with a geoboard. It was I who needed another hug and someone to wipe away my tears.

When I picked him up this afternoon, he got in the car and started to tell me all about his day. He was so excited. He kept telling me how much fun he had and it was way more funner than preschool!! They chased a gingerbread man (and he insisted he was real!) all around the school. This was a fun way for them to see where the cafeteria, gym, computer lab, etc. was. All along the way, the gingerbread man left them notes with clues of where to go next. The last clue said he was in a room where a lot of learning happens. They all ran back to their classroom, but the gingerbread man was taking a nap in a "magic oven" b/c he was so tired from running around the school. His teacher took him out and they were able to decorate their own gingerbread man cookies. Ethan told me he bit off his legs first just in case he woke up from his nap. That way, he said, the gingerbread man won't be able to run anywhere!! That Ethan, he's always thinking!!!

He told me several other stories, and I can tell he had such a good time. He kept saying that he really likes his new school, and I really hope it stays that way. I am sooooo proud of you, Ethan!!! I hope you have a great year in kindergarten!





























































Ethan and his teacher, Mrs. Wooley
















Ethan's classroom
















Talking on the phone to his cousin, Hunter and telling him all about his day. He just beams whenever he talks to Hunter!

2 comments:

The Rogerson's said...

Im glad Efie loves me because no one else does (mother) JUSK KIDDING OF COURSE (she only beats me sometimes)
-The bruised
and beaten
Hunter

Denver said...

I love this blog and it's probably one that you will enjoy reading over and over. It's sad, but happy. I can't believe he is in kindergarten already, also. It just seems like me and Chrisi made our way to the hospital when you were going to have him, but we won't go there. We're very proud of you, Efie Davis.