Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Roller Skating

Every Wednesday for the last five weeks, I have been taking Ethan and Carter roller skating. For two hours each week the rink that we go to has what's called Tiny Tots for children 8 years and under. What's great about this is that they tighten the wheels on the skates to make it a little easier to get around. Each week they loosen them a little more until finally they're rolling like a pro!

I gotta say that I was impressed with Ethan and Carter from the very first time we went skating. Ethan takes after me (and Donnie for that matter!) with his lack of grace and coordination, but they both did surprisingly well. The instructor teaches them a few things each week, and by far the most valuable lesson has been the gorilla--bend your knees and put your arms out to avoid falling. It doesn't always work and they fall down their fair share of times, but they get right back up without missing a beat.

I'm going to continue to take Carter on Wednesdays, but since Ethan will be in school, we might have to start going on the weekends. They both love it and don't realize they're getting exercise. Trust me, if Ethan knew he was exercising, there's no way he'd be doing it!!!














Ethan doing the limbo














Carter doing the limbo

















Carter doing the chicken dance. Ethan didn't want to do it, b/c he said he gets embarrassed at the part where you have to shake your butt.












Carter flying like a bird during the chicken dance. They also do the hokey pokey, but I didn't get any pictures of that.

Carter, Ethan, and their friend Bryce--sorry this video is a little long, I kept waiting for something funny to happen, but it never did!

At the end of the two hours, all the skaters can race. This is Carter's race which was just for 3 and 4 year olds. He came in 2nd!! He wanted me to come with him during his race which is how I was able to videotape him. I don't have a video of Ethan's race b/c I was too far away, but he did great!! He came in 3rd out of 10 five and six year olds!

2 comments:

Amy said...

Ok, you typed you were waiting for something funny to happen...well, not knowing what 3 and 6 year olds look like when they are roller skating and then seeing it...very funny!

The Rogerson's said...

Well done Davis Boys small signs of cordination are finally showing!
Im so proud.
-Love
Hunter